Cybersecurity has always been a field with exciting career opportunities. With good talents, one could easily find themselves in new situations. There is a lot of shortage for cybersecurity professionals across the globe, especially with the rise in technology and increase in devices in the hands of people. Corporations, governments, even individuals seeking protection need cybersecurity professionals. Digital security is a very crucial matter for many because, after the digital revolution, almost everything is stored inside computers, smartphones, servers and other such digital devices. Due to this, many people try to extract confidential information for various reasons. Some do it to spread knowledge for free while others try to extort money. There are many laws aimed to reduce such crimes. But, in countries like India, there is a massive need for cybersecurity professionals, and there seems to be no reduction in the growth of the field.
The points stated above illustrate why cybersecurity is a scorching field for job opportunities. Many cybersecurity professionals, when they’re applying for various jobs such as information security manager, database security manager etc. have no idea how to prepare for an interview or what the interviewer might ask. There are a lot of things any interviewer looks for in a possible recruit. But, one must always be prepared to take on any technical challenge the interviewer might have. Some of the most popular questions asked in cybersecurity interviews are:
- What is cyber security? (The obvious one)
- Differences between symmetric and asymmetric encryption
- Different types of encryption algorithms
- How could one detect security vulnerabilities in a system?
- Why is encryption important?
- What is the CIA triad?
- How much do you know about cybersecurity frameworks?
- Which platform do you think is the best for cyber security and why?
- How does one set up a firewall?
- What is SSL?
- Differences between HTTP and HTTPS
- Which should you do first? Compress or Encrypt?
- How does traceroute tool work?
- What is cross-site scripting or XSS?
- What steps could be taken to prevent XSS?
- What are various web vulnerabilities that developers often overlook?
- What is stack overflow?
- How can stack overflow result in data leakage?
- What are the various levels of data classification?
- How can one defend oneself from CSRF attacks?
- Who are the different types of hackers?
- What is hashing?
- How is hashing different from encryption?
- How can you mitigate DDoS?
- What is the architecture of the web?
- Explain the OSI model
There are many such questions that one might ask. These are the most asked ones. Also, soft skills are crucial to an interview and they must also be taken care of. Interviews in cyber security are tricky as there is no single answer to most of the practical questions. One might use one technique while the other might be inclined towards another approach. So, it is important to remember that every type of job needs a different type of cyber security professional and the answer to their questions need to be in that way. But, cyber security jobs are plenty and they are in high demand. So, it is crucial to know all the interview questions one can find.