Merchant Navy also
Merchant navy is used for non-combat commercial shipping, and their job revolves around shipping, trade, and commerce.
Merchant navy offers a series of job roles and ranks. And their remuneration ranges from 12,000 to 10 lacs. Factors like qualifications, experience, age, and fitness play an important role while you pursue your ocean career in merchant navy. It is followed by a rigorous training programme while your selection as a merchant navy.
- Master ( Captain) :
• This is the ultimate rank one can achieve on the deck side. He/She is responsible for overall supervision of CARGO and logistics.
• Interaction with port authorities to negotiate as well as supervise the shipping.
• He/she also looks after the legal regulations.
• His/her salary ranges from 4 lacs to 6 lacs.
• A Master also has a series of other additional ranks, namely :
i. Additional Master.
ii. Chief Officer.
iii. Additional Chief.
- Second Officer:
• Responsible for maintenance of the ship.
• Is in charge of equipment supervision of the shipping process.
• Is also known as the supervisor of the chief of the deck department.
• He/she leads a team of 10 to 15 people.
• His/her salary ranges from 1.6 lacs to 2 lacs.
- Third officer:
• Responsible for navigation and training of the deck side,
• He/she leads a team of 5 to 6 people for training.
• He/she is also responsible for managing the CARGO of the ship.
• His/her salary ranges from 70,000 to 1.5 lacs.
- Cadet (Trainee Officer):
• He/she is recruited as a trainee officer.
• His/her job role is to primarily learn the various functioning and job roles that would lead him to be in the merchant navy for the forthcoming years.
• His/her salary ranges between 15k and 25k.
As the name suggests they are the ENGINEERS of the ship. Their work and job role revolves around varied fields of engineering. He/she might work as an electrical / marine/ petroleum/ gas and many more other engineers.
- Chief Engineer: Draws salary from a range of 8 to 10 lacs.
- Second Engineer: Draws salary from a range of 3 to 5 lacs.
- Third Engineer: Draws salary from a range of 1.6 to 2 lacs.
- Fourth Engineer: Draws salary from a range of 1.2 to 1.5 lacs.
- Fifth Engineer ( Trainee engineer): Draws salary from a range of 30,000 to 45,000 per month.
- Pumpman (On tankers) / Deck fitter (on bulk carriers)
- Trainee wiper.
CATERING DEPARTMENT (under master) :
Apart from ranks and job roles all the members on board in a ship enjoys various perks and allowances. They primarily have to live their lives in the ship which invariably gives them an opportunity to travel around the world.
Since merchant navy is all about logistics and shipping, it consists of all non-military ships including bulk carriers, coasters, passenger liners, etc.. It, however, excludes fishing, research vessels, which is listed on the official registry of a country.