Reliance Scholarships: Learn everything here.
Today, there are 20,000 Indian colleges with 42 Central universities and 275 State universities. The progressing nation currently has 93 Institutes of National importance that receive over-whelming
participation from students in India and abroad. Along with this, experts have estimated that each year approximately 2, 00,000 students travel abroad to earn a foreign degree. With uncountable students taking a step towards higher education, Reliance Foundation has launched Reliance Scholarships. The motive behind these scholarships is to promote students that are deeply inclined to take the next step towards higher education.
With similar thoughts, Reliance Scholarships were introduced to reward exceptional talents as a part of its social initiative, Reliance Foundation Education for all in 2010. Reliance Scholarships extend financial aid to students with stunning academic performance. The company promotes students who are sceptical of taking a step towards higher education due to limited resources. As a part of Reliance Scholarships, the industrial giant encourages students to take a step towards higher education in India and abroad.
What makes the Reliance Scholarships Program unique?
• There are approximately 2,800 scholarships available as a part of the Reliance Scholarships program.
• Through Reliance Scholarships, the government provides a common portal for central and state government’s scholarship programs.
• It generates a transplant database of all the scholars.
• Reliance Scholarships timely dispenses the amount rewarded to all the candidates
• Students can apply for direct benefit transfer which refrains from any duplication that could be predicted.
Under the Reliance Scholarships program, there are currently three different scholarships available for students-
- Jio Scholarships – For students of class 10 and above
- Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship- For students applying for a medical or non-medical undergraduate course
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship- For students applying for an MBA at Stanford
Owing to its stupendous commercial success with the launch of Jio, Reliance Foundation has launched various scholarship programs. With Reliance Scholarships program in place, the corporate giant supports students with limited financial resources. The only criterion to receive Jio Scholarships is academic excellence; these candidates are shortlisted based on merit. Jio scholarships are reserved, or students are opting for different streams like Engineering, Management, Science, and Arts. Reliance Foundation awards Rs 55,000 annually under the Reliance Scholarships program, Jio scholarships.
All scholarships by Reliance fall under the corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities. The committee has three different categories in Jio Scholarships program under which students can apply. However, it is best to evaluate the profile through an expert to maximise the chances of receiving a scholarship.
- JIO Merit Based Scholarship- For students who have displayed exceptional academic or extracurricular performance
- JIO Student Specific Scholarship- For students who are eligible for specific categories like gender, religion, family, medical history etc
- JIO Need-Based Scholarship- For students who are applying in courses such as nursing that is in high demand
Eligibility Criteria to receive Jio Scholarships
One can find out if a student is eligible to receive Jio Scholarships. If so, then under which category they might receive it. Here are the eligibility criteria to receive Jio Scholarships.
• Students must be Indian citizens
• They should belong to the economically weaker section (EWS)
• Students should be able to show proof of income of their family
Minimum Percentage required
Amount Awarded (INR)
70% in State Board; 85% in Central Board or ICSE
35,000 per annum
70% in State Board; 85% in Central Board or ICSE
38,000 per annum
65% in State Board; 80% in Central Board or ICSE
45,000 per annum
75% and above
52,000 per annum
75% and above
55,000 per annum
Application Procedure to receive Jio Scholarships
The online applications for the academic year 2019-20 are not available. However, students can complete the offline process if they like, only if the applicants meet the minimum score criteria.
• Students may visit the nearest Jio office to collect the application form.
• Once they fill in the details, they may submit the way at the Jio office.
• Upon the submission, the Reliance team will verify all the information and send in a confirmation letter in a few days.
To apply in the academic batch, 2019-20 students will have to submit the applications by February 2019.
Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship
Reliance Foundation believes in its initiative that aims at educating the upcoming generations of India. As a part of its efforts, Reliance Foundation launched the Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship (DAS) in 2018. Reliance Scholarships believes it is a medium that facilitates equal opportunities to young talented students. While these scholarships are distributed from merit; the committee ensures to maintain a balanced ratio of girls and boys receiving Reliance Scholarships. Along with this, the Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship program also includes differently-abled while dispensing Reliance Scholarships. During 2017-18, a total of 423 students received Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship from the corporate giant.
Who can apply for Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship?
¬ Reliance Foundation financially escalates meritorious students of state and CBSE board
¬ These scholarships are only for undergraduate courses; hence, only students that have recently completed their schooling are eligible to apply for Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship program.
¬ Students enrolling in Medical and Non-Medical undergraduate courses are eligible to receive monetary aid from Reliance Foundation
¬ For students enrolling in non-medical courses, INR 36,000 is awarded annually until they graduate
¬ Students signing up for medical courses are awarded INR 40,000 per annum until the completion of the program
Application procedure to receive Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship
¬ Reliance Scholarships are awarded based on the merit list issued by State and CBSE
¬ To apply for Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship, students must make sure they have shared their email address and personal details with the colleges
¬ Upon the declaration of results of class 12, students in the merit list receive an e-mail from Reliance Foundation
¬ They can fill in their details and apply for Reliance Scholarships
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship was inspired by Dhirubhai Ambani’s vision to empower the youth of India and make them future leaders. The Reliance foundation generously created the scholarship program to support Indian nationals. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship gives financial assistance in obtaining an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB). Over the period, the school has proudly enrolled many Indian students who are currently a vital part of the student body at Stanford GSB. With this scholarship program in place, Reliance foundation encourages young talents in becoming future entrepreneurs.
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship under Reliance Scholarships Program waives up to 80% of the tuition and the associated fee of the two-year MBA program. However, it is mandatory for students who receive this Reliance Scholarships to return India within two years of completion of their MBA to work for Indian organisations. Thus, if a student is away from the country for four years in total (2 years of MBA+ 2 years of work), they must return and work for at least two years in an Indian organisation.
Points to remember
• Students should apply for the Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship program a year before the year of admission; they may not be considered for the scholarship program if they have already applied to Stanford for an MBA
• Once they have applied for the scholarship program, they can start working on their MBA applications
• Upon the acceptance of their MBA application, students can attend the MBA program in California for two years
• If a student likes, he/she can work in California after graduating from Standford
• Students will have to return to work in India for at least two years post their MBA
Once students are back in India, they become integral members of Stanford University, Stanford GSB, and Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows communities. This helps in building great connections that later helps in business expansion.
The team of experts has listed all the documents that shall be submitted along with the application. The application requirements of students applying for Reliance Scholarships slightly differ than a typical MBA application. Hence, students are advised to check the official website of Stanford University before they start working on applications. Here is a list of commonly asked documents by the university-
♣ Mark sheets of class 10th and 12th
♣ JEE/ CAT score
♣ Employment letters
♣ Letters of Recommendation (academic or professional)
♣ Statement of Purpose
♣ Other government ID proof’s for verification
Selection criteria and other details
• Each year, up to 50 students are shortlisted for Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship under Reliance Scholarships program.
• The committee evaluates each candidate based on his commitment to contribute to the development of India.
• It is mandatory for each student to meet the eligibility criteria listed by Stanford.
• Students much have the required CAT/GMAT/GRE score, and ILETS, PTE, or TOFEL, if needed.
• Each year, up to three students receive financial aid as a part of Reliance Scholarships.
• The selection of a candidate is purely based on the standard admission criteria. However, a student’s intellectual vitality, leadership skills and personal attributes are contributing factors in his selection.
Deadline to apply for Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship
The timelines for Stanford’s academic session of 2020-21 are not yet disclosed. However, to receive financial aid through Reliance Scholarships in 2020 you need to apply in 2019. Generally, the applications for the same release in April and the deadlines for the submission of the same is in May end while the finalists are informed in June. The admissions at Stanford begin in September.